I’m always meaning to try and sew more ‘frosting’ – incidentally does anyone else find the whole cake / frosting thing confusing? I always think that the cake is the fancy stuff, until I remember the alternative is frosting rather than, say, bread. Possibly because I love cake, and my main thought when I see the word is ‘mmmmm cake……sorry what were you saying?’. Anyway, my wardrobe is basically full of cake, with very little in the way of frosting, so what I have got to show you today? That’s right, a couple of knit tops which I’ve been wearing in heavy rotation since they were finished, no frosting in sight.
This lovely green number was made from a free Simple Sew pattern included with a recent issue of Love Sewing magazine. It’s exactly my sort of thing – raglan sleeves, wide neckline, not too fitted – so it was an obvious choice for the first one of these patterns I’ve tried.
It was a very straightforward sew, I have to say I didn’t really look at the instructions at all so I can’t comment on them. There’s not a lot you could possibly include in instructions for this sort of top – 4 raglan seams, 2 side seams and then neck, arm and bottom bands – all sewn on my overlocker in an afternoon.
I really like the back neckline as well – it’s very close to being completely identical back and front which gives that lovely wide shape across the back and shoulders. Actually it’s only the neckband seam that means I can put this on the right way round now that mornings are gettIng dark, and I’m not entirely convinced that wearing it the wrong way round would actually be noticeable…..
The curved raglan seams are a nice detail too, and make this a pretty flattering shape on me, I think.
The fabric is a gorgeous vibrant green viscose jersey from Edinburgh Fabrics – green is probably my favourite colour to wear, and this shade makes me smile every time I look down at my top – something that has been very welcome over the last few months. Definitely a successful project, and it’s one of those that I tend to wear immediately they come out of the wash – always a good sign.
My second knit top was actually one that I rescued from a semi-disaster, but it’s ended up being an incredibly useful layering top.
The first, failed top was a rub-off of a favourite RTW long-line t-shirt which came down to about mid-thigh, with wide bands on the bottom and sleeves and which has been worn to death. I seem to have sharp elbows. judging by the number of my favourite longer-sleeved t-shirts which end up holey, and once this particular top got holes in the elbow patches I’d added to cover the original holes, I thought it was time to try and make a replica.
I used some soft and buttery bamboo jersey, also from Edinburgh Fabrics, in this lovely smokey blue-grey colour. Unfortunately, it’s much heavier and more stretchy than the fabric of the original RTW top, and looked ridiculous at the longer length – it nearly came to my knees. The sleeve bands were much bulkier than the sleeves as well, and looked rubbish, frankly. It was very disappointing, I really miss the original top in my wardrobe, it was a great layering piece, and this fabric is so lovely it seemed a shame to have wasted it. Obviously as a mature adult I scrunched it up and wedged it in a box with various other unfinished projects. For some reason I decided to pull it out of the box six months later, and about half an hour before we left on holiday in September. I just chopped off the bottom and sleeve bands, leaving the edges raw, and bunged it in the suitcase. The intention was to go back and hem, but that hasn’t happened yet and I’m not sure I’ll ever bother, it works well just as it is.
This has ended up being quite snug, and all the lumps and bumps, back pockets and bra straps are pretty obvious, so at the moment I’m not tending to wear it on its own, but as an under-layer for cropped or sheer tops and jumpers it’s fab. I will try again with the longer length and bands, once I find a suitable fabric that matches the original better. I think a less drapey, cotton jersey might do the trick.
That’s the end of my unblogged finished projects, and I’ve hit a bit of a snag in that my sewing machine is in for repair at the moment. I did, however, have enough energy over the last couple of weekends to cut out 3 or 4 projects, so I’ll be all ready once my machine is back. None of those projects are what you’d call frosting either, but I do have plans involving some silk velvet and a frock for Christmas, I just need to get up the courage to cut into such a precious fabric….